Thursday, May 18, 2017

The Elegant Dress from SheIn - and ways to take care of yourself during Grad School

Hello lovely people!
Today I am bringing you an outfit post and also some tips on ways to take care of yourself, especially during times of high stress as in grad school or a stressful job!
I received this really pretty Contrast Fit and Flare Mesh and Lace elegant dress from SheIn and I just love love love the lace detail! It is such an elegant dress, that can be worn to a formal event, formal dinner, or an awards ceremony! It was also very affordable on my grad student budget, can you believe this dress is less than $30 on SheIn ? Totally my jam! I really enjoyed styling it, and kept my accessory details simple to keep the focus on the dress! I also put my hair up in a messy bun, which I never usually wear my hair up, so it was a nice change! I paired the outfit with simple black heels and some dangling pearl earrings, as well as simple glam makeup and some red lipstick! 
I enjoy dressing up to go to lab (well, not in this dress obviously!) but it is so nice to get glam every once in a while - helps me feel like a human being :) 

Keep reading for my tips on staying sane during really stressful times in grad school....

1. Pick a new hobby - During my thesis writing process, I've picked up a few extra hobbies to keep me busy when I need to take a break. Can be something as simple as something you start to do for yourself like working out, practicing calligraphy, drawing/painting, to picking up a musical instrument, learning a new language - anything really you can escape to that you enjoy and look forward to doing, to help break up the monotony of the writing process!

2. Focus on your mental health - meditate! Whether you are seasoned at meditation or have never done it before, it really helps with stress levels! You can look up some tutorials on full on meditations, or you can just set a timer for yourself and practice breathing and clearing your mind. I find this helps me a lot with anxiety attacks. I set a timer for 1-5 minutes, and practice breathing in (for count of 5), hold (for count of 4) and breath out (for count of 7), and repeat, focusing on my breath. This helps ground me and clears my mind of any other stresses as it forces me to focus on my breath!

3. Workout! Working out has greatly helped me with managing my stress levels during this busy busy time. Carving out just 30 minutes a day to focus on myself, get my heart rate up, blast some music, and let out all my anxious energy has been a life saver. If you need some tips/need accountability, feel free to message me! It always helps to have a buddy!

4. Spend time with friends and family. Making sure to spend time with your friends and family can be a great release. Vent, change your surroundings, talk about things other than your work - surround yourself with positive energy - it can do a lot for your mental and physical well being!

5. Go for walks! Getting away from the computer or lab and going for a 30 minute walk can help your mood and productivity as well as helping keep your blood circulation going! Raising your heart rate a little also helps with your focus!

6. Go shopping and dress up! I personally love shopping for clothes and makeup, and I like looking and feeling good with makeup and pretty clothes. Wear a nice outfit and then sit at your desk. It's like when they say for a phone interview to dress your best. If you feel amazing, you are more likely to do better!
Dress: Fit and Flare Mesh and Lace elegant dress from SheIn | Shoes: Nine West | Earrings: Pearl and Clasp | 

What do you think about these tips? They've really helped me get thru these last couple of months of thesis and PhD! 
And I think this pretty dress fulfills my "feeling pretty" quota!  I shot this outfit before going to lab and working on my dissertation.

What do you like to do to escape from the stress of work? Let me know in the comments below. 

PS. Dissertation coming up in 3 weeks, so I might not post again until after, but be prepared for lots more quality material and videos post-PhD :) Let me know in the comments below too what other things you would like to learn/see!

xo
Andrea

SHARE:

1 comment

  1. Great blog post!! I will definitely take those tips on board! For me, I love working out, climbing and drawing -- they're the best ways for me to destress. Keep up the great blog posts - can't wait for the next one!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me comments, I read everything and love reading your responses! xo

Blogger Template Created by pipdig